Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Green Smoothie for Beginners

Consider this Green Smoothie 101.  If you're interested in adding some greens to your day, but you feel apprehensive about the sinister-looking "green drinks" that are found in health food restaurants and stores, this recipe is for you.  It's sweet, creamy, and easy to drink; and the greens involved are very familiar.  You won't be choking down chunks of kale and mustard greens in this drink... you'll simply be sipping on some spinach that has been blended with a few delicious fruits (Don't worry, though - the kale drink is soon to come!).

This smoothie is so easy to drink, Baby C loves it just as much as I do.  Much like a cat with a can opener, the sound of my food processor in the morning is sure to bring my little boy into the kitchen, FAST!  In fact, I've been known to add some sneaky ingredients to C's smoothie.  For example, I made a bunch of whipped cauliflower for him a while back, and he Hates It (yes, that's a capital 'H').  I find it easy to drop a frozen cube of it into his smoothie, blend, and serve it up.  He really has no idea what hit him.  Feel free to do the same for yourself.  Even though you'll actually know what the sneaky ingredient is, you'll probably find it difficult to taste.  Of course, if you're a little nervous about drinking spinach in the a.m., maybe you should just consider the greens your "sneaky ingredient" for now.  ;)

GREEN SMOOTHIE FOR BEGINNERS

Ingredients:
1 banana, cut into pieces and frozen overnight
1 orange, cut into chunks
Splash of milk - dairy or non-dairy
1/2 tsp vanilla
2-3 handfuls of spinach
Sweetener to taste, if desired (I like honey or agave nectar)

1.  Place banana, orange, vanilla, and milk in food processor and puree until a creamy, soft serve-like consistency is achieved.

2.  Add spinach and pulse until chopped up and blended consistently throughout smoothie.

3.  Add sweetener (if desired) and pulse until blended.

4.  Enjoy!

NOTES:  If making this smoothie for a baby, omit the sweetener.  Also, if you aren't sharing the smoothie with baby, you can use breast milk or formula instead of other forms of milk.

Place banana, orange, vanilla, and milk in food processor
and puree until a creamy, soft serve-like consistency is achieved.

Add spinach and pulse until chopped up and blended consistently throughout smoothie.  Add sweetener (if desired) and pulse until blended. (Shown here before spinach has been added.)

ENJOY!!










2 comments:

  1. This is awesome!
    If anyone would have suggested having spinach for breakfast, I would have thought they had lost it...now when I tell people I have had spinach for breakfast they think I have lost it!
    I shared it with the 4 "Grands" last week and it was loved by all, ages 2-10. Can't thank you enough!
    My garden spinach is so plentiful, I wasn't sure how I was going to use it all, I now think I need to plant more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoy it! Check back in a week or two, because I'm working on another smoothie with some more adventurous greens.

    By the way, I'm jealous of the spinach in your garden. We have yet to plant some in ours.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete