BLUEBERRY QUINOA SALAD WITH TOASTED WALNUTS
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water (it's so much better with the broth!)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup fresh blueberries
5 cups mixed greens
Balsamic vinegar to drizzle
Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle (if desired)
1. Stir quinoa and broth together in a medium pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes. You'll know that the quinoa is done when the ring separates from the grain (see picture below). Set aside.
2. Toast walnuts in saucepan over medium heat. Walnuts are done toasting when they are slightly browned and begin to release a (delicious) smell. Set aside.
3. Toss blueberries, greens, and walnuts in a large bowl.
4. Here's where it's up to you. If you'd like an entirely cold salad, chill the quinoa before tossing it with the rest of the salad. If you're feeling adventurous, add it while it's still warm. Personally, I love the feel of warm quinoa in a cold, crisp salad. Also, play around with the amount of quinoa you add. I usually have a little bit left over to use in another recipe.
5. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and/or olive oil.
| Toast walnuts in saucepan over medium heat. |