VANILLA HAZELNUT GRANOLA
3 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts (or nut of your choice)
1/4-1/2 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger*
1/2 tsp. nutmeg*
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp. pure Mexican vanilla
4 tbsp. coconut oil (or butter)
*Ginger has long been known to help settle upset stomachs. I used to chew on candied ginger to help with my stomach problems before I started this diet, and I've heard from some women that it can help keep morning sickness at bay when pregnant.
*Did you know that nutmeg is an anti-inflammatory? It can actually help regulate your GI tract, and it also has anti-bacterial properties.
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside.
2. Add BOWL A ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
3. Pour ingredients into greased baking dish and bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Meanwhile, combine ingredients for BOWL B and pour into a small pan on stovetop. Heat on medium, stirring constantly until coconut oil is melted and all ingredients are combined.
4. Raise oven temperature to 350 degrees. Pour liquid ingredients (BOWL B) over dry ingredients (BOWL A). Stir to combine. Use a spoon to press granola into baking dish.
5. Bake about 10 minutes, then remove and stir. Use spoon to press granola into baking dish. Bake another 5-10 minutes, until oats are crisp and golden.
6. Set on cooling rack until baking dish is cool enough to touch. Use a spatula to scrape granola from bottom and sides of dish. This is important! Don't let your granola cool completely before you attempt to scrape it - it will turn into a rock hard mess. Trust me, I know... : )
7. Enjoy! I like to eat my granola as a cereal; but it also works as a trail mix, an ice cream topping, or an addition to some oven-baked fruit.
|Combine BOWL A ingredients in a large mixing bowl.|
|Pour ingredients into a greased pan and bake for 25 min, stirring halfway through.|
|Meanwhile, heat BOWL B ingredients on stove over medium heat until coconut oil is completely melted. Stir constantly.|
|Pour BOWL B ingredients over BOWL A ingredients and stir to combine. Press into pan using a spoon. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, stir, and press into pan again.|
|Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until oats are crisp and golden brown.|
|Scrape from pan before granola has completely cooled, but when pan is cool enough to touch. ENJOY!|