I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast. Yep, I meant that. Every. Single. Day. I love it that much! I keep it interesting, though, with a variety of delicious toppings and add-ins. I think I can go about 2 weeks without repeating one of my "recipes." This baked oatmeal recipe came about when I was looking at pounds and pounds of sweet potatoes in our kitchen the other night, wondering how I was going to use them all up. It's a different take on an old favorite, and I think it turned out quite good!
BLUEBERRY BAKED OATMEAL WITH SWEET POTATO PUREE
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground flaxseed
dash of salt
1/4 cup 100% maple syrup
1 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
1 tbsp melted coconut oil or butter
2 tsp pure Mexican vanilla
2 cups pureed sweet potatoes (peel potatoes, steam, then puree in blender or food processor)
1 tbsp light agave nectar
1 cup fresh blueberries, divided
1. Grease an 8 x 8 baking dish with coconut oil. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Mix oats, baking powder, cinnamon, flaxseed, and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix maple syrup, milk, egg, coconut oil, and vanilla in a container with a pour spout. Set aside.
4. Mix sweet potato and agave nectar in a small bowl.
5. Spread sweet potato mixture evenly into the bottom of the baking dish.
6. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the blueberries onto the sweet potatoes.
7. Spread the oats mixture evenly on top of the blueberries and potatoes.
8. Pour liquid mixture over oats.
9. Sprinkle the remaining blueberries on top.
10. Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes.
|Mix maple syrup, milk, egg, coconut oil, and vanilla in a container with a pour spout. Set aside.|
|Mix sweet potato and agave nectar in a small bowl. Spread sweet potato mixture evenly into the bottom of the baking dish.|
|Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the blueberries onto the sweet potatoes.|
|Spread the oats mixture evenly on top of the blueberries and potatoes.|
|Pour liquid mixture over oats.|
|Sprinkle the remaining blueberries on top.|
|Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes.|
|Let cool for 15 minutes before serving, or refrigerate and reheat the next morning.|
|Look at that scrumptious sweet potato layer at the bottom! You can serve this baked oatmeal as is...|
|Topped with maple syrup....|
|Or in a bowl with some cold milk! ENJOY!|