Friday, January 11, 2013

Strawberry Lemon Waffles

 My neighbor recently bought the Deliciously Organic  cookbook by Carrie Vitt, and she loaned it to me so I could check out the recipes.  I read through it last night, and I was super excited to try the Sour Cream and Lemon Pancakes with Blueberry Puree for breakfast this morning.  There was only one minor roadblock:  the grocery fairy didn't visit last night, so I didn't have most of the ingredients in the house when I woke up this morning.  No sour cream.  No blueberries. No freshly ground pastry flour.  No sucanat... You can see where this is going.  There was NO WAY I was going to be able to try the recipe without running to the store and spending money we don't have.  So, I decided to greatly modify the recipe to incorporate ingredients that were already in the pantry.  Then, I decided I was really more in the mood for waffles, so I added some coconut oil to the batter.  I still plan to try Carrie's delicious sounding recipe someday, but these waffles really hit the spot for today.

STRAWBERRY LEMON WAFFLES

Ingredients:
4 tbsp. light agave nectar
3/4 cup lemon juice (either fresh squeezed or from a bottle)
1 tbsp. melted coconut oil
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 cup strawberries, chopped in quarters (Next time I make this, I'll definitely double the amount of berries)
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tbsp. ground flax seed (not essential to the recipe, but it boost the nutritional content)
2 large eggs
2-3 tbsp. milk (dairy or non-dairy)

1.  Juice lemons.  Pour juice into food processor, adding a little lemon pulp as well.  Add strawberries, coconut oil, vanilla, and agave nectar.  Process until smooth.

2.  Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.

3.  Slightly beat eggs.

4.  Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients.  Pour eggs and strawberry mixture into the well and blend with whisk until combined.

5.  Add milk, 1 tbsp at a time, until desired consistency is reached (see picture below).

6.  Ladle into hot, greased waffle iron.  Remove from waffle iron when waffles are a nice golden brown.

7.  Serve topped with 100% maple syrup and garnished with a strawberry and a lemon slice.

8.  ENJOY!
Gather ingredients.

Juice lemons.  Pour juice into food processor, adding a little lemon pulp as well.
Add strawberries, coconut oil, and agave nectar.

Pulse until smooth.

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
Pour eggs and strawberry mixture into the well and blend with whisk until combined.

Add milk, 1 tbsp at a time, until desired consistency is reached.


Ladle into waffle iron and cook until waffles are golden brown.

Serve topped with 100% maple syrup.  Garnish with strawberry and lemon.

Enjoy!

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment